▼

Atta (wholewheat) and Badam(Almond) ladoo


Ladoos were not in my domain until once we were shifting from a place. Since I had no choice other than dumping my left over pantry. I really felt miserable throwing away generous amount besan (chickpeaflour). That motivated me to try ladoos. Since my mother in law prepared it very often and hers was absolutely perfect so I never felt like preparing it.

I managed to prepare some besan ladoos referring a book from Tarladalal. It turned out to be geat for a beginner like me. At least it was palatable. Hence started my journey with ladoos. I still remember my cravings when I was expecting Rohan. I was really dying to eat any kind of ladoos. So my in-laws had packed 5 to 6 kg of ladoos for me. Now I am scared to even think that I eat those crazy amount of ladoos being always a fitness freak. So when Rohan was born, he was whopping 9 pounds or 4.5 kilo. My family called him ladoo baby and he still has the penchant for ladoos. My mother in law feels more energetic when she has to make for her son and also for the grand son as well..

Once during Ganesh puja I was running short of besan and it is sometimes difficult to get all the groceries here in Beijing. I tried making the ladoos using atta and making it more yummy by adding almond meal. Thanks to a small shop which has opened recently and is enough to cater the Indians out here. But I still carry loads of groceries when I travel back from India. I know it is a hassle but I cannot survive without any ingredients missing.

I felt the atta ladoos tastes much better than the besan ladoo anyway that’s a personal choice but it had good taste. Rohan also loved it.

These nutritious snacks helps me a lot since it easy to munch after any extra curricular activities. Rohan feels hungry after he is done with his swimming and kick boxing lessons. So I always try to keep them handy.

Ingredients

1 cup atta
½ cup ghee(clarified butter)
¾ cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup almond meal
1 tablespoon ground cardamom
broken pieces of cashew nuts.

Method.

Melt the ghee in a heavy bottom pan and add atta to it. Lower the fire and keep stirring it for approx 20 minutes. This is the most important step in making ladoos. It requires patience and results are rewarding. Saute it till u get the aroma from the atta.

Remove from fire and pour the mix in a plate or a bowl. Gently spread it and allow the atta to cool thoroughly. It will look like a soft and sticky mix.

After it has cool down completely add almond meal, ground cardamom, cashew nuts and sugar. Take some mix in a hand and roll into small balls. Store them in an air tight containers. The above measurement yields 14 ladoos and you can double the measure if u need more.



4 comments:

  1. These Ladoos are worth dying for. If God made the earth, soil and the air and he gave us humans this wonderful world. The least we can do for him is to make these Ladoos and offer them back to him.

    These will go down as a family heirloom and generations I am certain will delight in this sweetmeat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adding almond meal is a neat idea..very nutritious..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe!....I tried for the first time and it came out delicious....thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. tried came out good...thanks...:)

    ReplyDelete